Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I am using a 1984 Mitsubishi L 300 front end for a hot rod…

Customer Question
Hi Doug,I am using a...
Hi Doug,I am using a 1984 Mitsubishi L 300 front end for a hot rod build.
I have in the past used one fitted with a rear mounted rack pinion with Mitsubishi triton spindles for better Ackermann
.
This time however we need to front mount a rack pinion as the oil pan is in the way for a rear mounted rack.
inner pivot point measures 628mm anything in a power rack you might suggest?Also would a straighter steering arm out front be more beneficial than a curved one you would use on rear steer?Thankyou Doug if you can help,
great site you have here, I found it by accident
Its now in my favourites
Kind regards Bert
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Classic Car
1/10/2018
Classic Car Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

Information like this here may be hard to come by.You may have to have a specialist/auto modify facility inspect this to see what components would work best as well as suggest the right rack for you since no one has posted any info here on this.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Good Morning Pete,Thankyou for you for contacting me,No one has come back to me with any information.My wife has informed me that $53 has already been debited from my account on top of the $ 5 totaling $58 dollars , most disappointing as I'm sure you will agree, to be charged for something you never received.The L300 Mitsubishi front end has been used extensively in the Australian hot rod scene for many years.
There are many combinations of racks, spindles, steering arms ect that can be used.
For example the rod we own and I built a number of years ago, I fitted with an L300 front end, has L200 reversed spindles with VB Commodore manual rack and HR holden springs.I would of used a similar construction on the new build we are doing except for the fact that the engine is mounted to far forward due to its size, and the sump is in the way for a rear mounted rack.In other words the EL Falcon rack I was going to use will not lift high enough to enable us to eliminate bump steer to an acceptable level.I have seen many rear mounted racks on this cross member, but never a front mounted rack although I'm sure its been done before.The L300 prior to 1986 ran this cross member and a steering box which operated the steering from the front.
I am looking for a rack were the inner pivot points are 628mm and is front mounted, and has 150mm rack travel or there abouts, There are numerous companies making them aftermarket, I wish to source one from a car manufacturer.All I need is a list of front mounted rack inner pivot point measurements from different car manufactures that is close to our 628mm. We can use the original spindles with front mount steering arms to maintain correct Akermann.I have spoke to many rack reconditioners, suppliers, wreckers ,mechanics ect none of them have access to rack measurements, other than physically measuring what they have in stock wich no one wants to do as it is time consuming.
Ive scoured the net, tried Alibaba manufacturers, even Ebay.With no luck.As I see it at the moment I have two options to buy an expensive custom aftermarket rack (retrorack unisteer flaming river ect.) or purchase a rack that is larger from a car brand and have it shortened.Then I found your site and thought I would speak to an expert who can find me what I need.
I have a lot of technical data regarding the front end should you require it,
Well Pete let me know if you can source this info, or what option we have.
As I said thanks for getting back to me, and hope you can make the $58 work for me,Kind regards Bert

Below is the link to customer care.If you want to speak with them first on the charges then come back here and let me know if you would like to continue, we can then continue from here unless you just want to continue then let me know.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thanks Pete