Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Trying to read a cowl tag on a 65 GTO, If its a real GTO…

Customer Question
Trying to read a...

Trying to read a cowl tag on a 65 GTO

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

If its a real GTO

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Classic Car
12/28/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: FixUrNissan, Car Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
FixUrNissan
FixUrNissan, Car Enthusiast

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I have a buddy of mine called the Goat Doctor. He is a GTO nut. That is all he does!.

I will send him your info regarding to see if the car is a read GTO and get back to you.. Ok? Just give me till later today if you can.

It's looking like a Lemans, But he wants to double check.

The first digit of the vin 2 = Pontiac, the next numbers 37 = Lemans, if it was 42 = GTO, but he wants to double check to be sure.. ok?

Good morning!
From what I can tell, the GTO designation was only added as a indicator after 65.I’m also trying to understand the other important features within the Vin and cowl. You know that trims, options, seat configuration, and anything else that I should know. For example, the car has factory AC.

Ok, so what he said was, The 42 code started in 66 and ended in 71.. he is gonna have to do a PHS on it..
Pontiac historical services.

It will cost him to run a PHS, so it may be easier if you do it. They can give you the complete options of your vehicle right from the factory.

http://www.phs-online.com/

Jay, not sure this interaction was worth 30 bucks. Couldn’t you did a little further into the Vin and Cowl tag? That’s how and why I was directed to “just ask” . Agree?
Hey Jay, you still out there buddy?

Sorry I am currently working. Will double check to see if some other info can be decoded from the vin and cowl tag for you and let you know..

This is the Vin break down so you can decode your vin number.

1st digit - Division - 2 = Pontiac

2nd & 3rd digits - Series:
33 = Tempest (1965-70)
33 = LeMans T-37 (1971)
35 = Tempest Custom (1965-70)
33 = LeMans (1971)
37 = Tempest LeMans (1965-70)
37 = LeMans Sport (1971)
39 = Tempest Safari (1967-69)
42 = GTO (1966-71)

4th & 5th digits - Body Code:
07 = 2-door sedan (post)
17 = 2-door coupe
27 = 2-door sedan (post)
35 = 4-door wagon, 2 seat
36 = 4-door wagon, 2 seat,
dual action tailgate
37 = 2-door coupe
39 = 4-door coupe
46 = 4-door wagon, 3 seat,
dual action tailgate
67 = 2-door convertible
69 = 4-door sedan

6th digit - Model Year:
5 = 1965
6 = 1966
7 = 1967
8 = 1968
9 = 1969
0 = 1970
1 = 1971
7th digit - Assembly plant:
A = Atlanta, GA
B = Baltimore, MD
C = Southgate, CA
D = Doraville, GA
E = Linden, NJ
G = Framingham, MA
K = Kansas City, MO
P = Pontiac, MI
R= Arlington, TX
U = Lordstown, OH
V = Bloomfield, IL
X = Kansas City, KS
Z = Fremont, CA
1 = Oshava, Ontario Canada

Last 6 digits - Production sequence starting at 600001
at all plants, except V8 models which started at 100001.

working on the cowl tag, but I did find out that the only way to find out if it's a GTO is if you contact PHS. This year and older did not mark on the vin or cowl if it was a GTO.

I know it's a 2 Dr , Blue Hard Top so far. Seeing what more I can get decoded for you.

Sounds good. I had gotten that far also.
Missing info on the cowl tag. I see the
BB = blue charcoal top and bottom.Wasn’t sure about the 217-33,16225
And 79328

Yup.. BB is the Top and Bottom color..

217, that is the Paint code for Blue,

Still waiting to hear about the remaining..