Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I need to install power steering or p0wer assist on my 1930…

Customer Question
I need to install...

I need to install power steering or p0wer assist on my 1930 Ford Model A pickup. Or a steering box??

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

I am speaking of a 1930 Model A//

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

Please see my fist message

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

Please refer to my first message. I need to install power steering on my 1930 Ford Model A pickup.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not been able to find anyone who has any idea of how to install power steering, any kind of later model steering box or any electric device to assist steering.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Classic Car
12/21/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: Kavey, Shop Owner replied 8 months ago
Kavey
Kavey, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

http://www.unisteer.com/electric-power-steering/improved-universal-electra-steer-360w-kit.html

Check out that kit. That is the easiest option I can recommend. I have had good luck with them.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Wayne, Thank you for your quick response, I would rather replace the original steering with an alternate mechanical box, adaptable to a ford, I have heard that a Chev Vega circa1974 might work or a early model Ford compact. My model A is on our web grrclassiccars.com. We have looked at the EZversion but would prefer a mechanical box which you might be able to recommend. Thanks Dave

Sorry for the delayed response. I had to run out for a while.

I wouldnt be able to recommend an alternate mechanical box. I researched this a while back for a customer and the best I recall I was unable to come up with one that would work right. I will opt out and see if any other expert has a suggestion for you. Thank you for your patience.

Classic Car Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

hello

another expert here

looks like this firm sell a range of updated power steering boxes and they offer a matching up service

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=148e

and this firm offer a range of custom couplers to get it all to hook up

http://www.bergmanautocraft.com/

reviewed here:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/retrofit-power-steering-box-from-borgeson-one-good-turn/

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt