Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

What are good numbers for cylinder compression on a 1964 v8…

Customer Question
What are good numbers...

What are good numbers for cylinder compression on a 1964 v8 460cui lincolon motor

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

100,000 automatic transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '64 Lincoln?

Four door Continental convertable

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Continental yourself? What have you tried so far?

Buying yhe car took a compression test last week

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Classic Car
12/12/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, my name is Jay

You would look to have about 120 psi in a warmed up motor but what is most important is you should not have more that about 15 psi between highest and lowest cylinder. For instance you may have 130 psi in one cylinder and 115 in another and is good but if you have 90 psi in one and 120 psi in another is not good. What numbers did you get?

145 150

That is excellent for an engine with over 100 k miles. I was not expecting it to be that high with a worn motor of this age. You have a great shape motor if this compression is on all cylinders.

Like I said it is not how high it is but the variance between cylinders is most important. Unless all are low below 100 psi.

You should not see more than a 10% variance between highest and lowest cylinders. So with your high cylinder at 150 psi then the lowest cylinder should not be below 135 psi.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Do you have any other questions for me?