Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

1976 Corvette tack does not work. Where should I start to…

Customer Question
1976 Corvette tack does...

1976 Corvette tack does not work. Where should I start to fine the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corvette yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I take it to local specialty shops. But I am mechanically capable. So far, I have not looked into the tach.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Classic Car
12/4/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Look at the distributor cap in the back of the engine, there is two sets of wires going into the drivers side of the distributor cap, on the cap one is marked BAT for Battery, the other is marked TACH, is the wire still going into the wiring pin labelled TACH on the distributor cap? let us know, Thank you.

Edward:
Thank You.
I'll look at it in a couple of days. It is in a shop getting the front end aligned.
Jim

Alright, sounds good Jim, if that wire is good there near the cap, (make sure the end of it is crimped well, you may want to pull it from the distributor cap and look) then it's probably going to be instrument cluster itself if the cluster lights up at all then we know it's getting power, it could be the tach in the cluster itself is failing. try when your going down banging slightly on the top of the dash and see if that makes the tach spring to life, if so, check the connectors on the back of the cluster and make sure those aren't corroded or loose. Thank you.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need any additional help just let us know. Thank you!