Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

My 1965 mustang v8 has been sitting for a while. I put in a…

Customer Question
My 1965 mustang v8 has...
My 1965 mustang v8 has been sitting for a while. I put in a new battery and tried to start it. There was one click and now there is not electrical to the ignition, lights, radio etc.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Classic Car
11/27/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic replied 6 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello, usually when this happens it's due to a poor electrical connection. The amp load from the starter causes the poor connection to break. What you'll need to do is double check your battery terminal connection, the connection at the starter solenoid and where you're ground cable connects. One of these has poor contact causing this issue.

IF all the cable connections and grounds are clean and tight check your fusible links, they should be on the same side of the starter solenoid as the positive battery cable. USe a test light to check for voltage at the connector and about 6-8 inches down on the wire. If there voltage at the connector but not on the other side of the fusible link it's bad.

If you need the wiring diagram just let me know.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting. Rating/accepting does not cost you extra but insures I am credited for my time and knowledge. Follow ups concerning the original question are always free even after rating/accepting. Thank you for using Just Answer!