Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

My 1970 dodge superbee leaks gas out of vent line on hot…

My 1970 dodge superbee...

My 1970 dodge superbee leaks gas out of vent line on hot days or when I fill up the gas tank

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Same day last sat going to a car show only leaks out under rea rend when full or if build up pressure in the tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '70 Dodge?

Super bee 1970

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

11/21/2017
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Pleas allow me to assist you. I have had this issue with several vehicles from that era. I would recommend, before you do anything else, to replace the fuel filler cap with a proper replacement unit. Not something cheap from an auto parts store that fits a lot of different vehicles, but an original specification cap. The caps on these older cars are vented. New cars do not vent the caps. If the cap is faulty, the pressure in the tank builds up on hot days and is fuel is forced out.

supposed to use a non vented cap it has two vent lines

If you have vent lines then one of the rubber hoses is collapsed where it meets the tank connection.

Older cars had vented caps. My Charger had a vented cap. Apparently yours is different.

Classic Car Service
Phone call session started