Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I have a 1950 dodge cornet, that won’t start, changed

I have a 1950...

I have a 1950 dodge cornet, that won’t start, changed sparks, cylenoid. Just have clicking when I turn the ignition key, I’m not sure if it’s the starter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes I can turn steering wheel, let me try different key, it had been running fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '50 Dodge?

Coronet

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Coronet

11/18/2017
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

is this a 6 volt system???

just to confirm 1950??

Roy

6 volt

ok, do you have a volt meter to check the battery voltage??

Hi Roy I have a volt meter, it just got dark out, and I’m not going to beable to do much, maybe you can just walk me through a few things?

ok

first, check the battery voltage. it should be around 6.3 volts. thats fully charged.

then have some try to start it and you watch how low the battery voltage drops. it should not drop below 5 volts. if it does, the battery is bad if it does not then we need to check voltage down at the starter/

Roy

It was somewhat difficult to start in general, I probably let it out to long, I’m in the northeast and it got cold recently. It always would start rrrr. Rrrr. Rrrr then start, know I’m not getting that, just a clicking at cylenoid
I had the battery checked a Napa they said it was all good

ok,, I still want you to check the battery. we need to verify power.

start there

Roy

Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic
I guess I’ll just talk in person
Phone call session started