Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

RE: radio installed in a 1930 model A Ford (12 volt system)

RE: radio installed in...

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

Hi, (after market as model A's did not have radios.)
This radio is wired correctly (i.e. black = ground, red = ignition on & Acc, yellow = hot all the time, no orange used. The radio works great with the key on accessory and with ignition on but motor off. But when I start the car, the radio shuts off after a second or two and will not come back on. I unplugged the wiring harness connector and checked the terminals. All worked as intended including with the motor running. This one has me beat - any ideas?
Thanks for the help,
Steve Jessen

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Volt?

? "what year is your Volt?" Do not understand. The car is a 12 volt electrical system with an alternator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is not a "Volt" problem. The newly installed radio shuts off with the motor running. It works fine when the engine is off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello, what brand and model is the radio?

Boss 508UAB 200 watt
I am checking to see if there is a voltage drop when the motor is running.

You may also want to check the fuse in the rear of the unit. I have seen the connection loose enough or fuse be partially blown and when the vehicle runs it loses contact from vibration.

I've installed many of these Boss units and this model in particular has a very high failure rate. They will either do what yours is doing, volume not work or not cut off.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Thank you,
done
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic