Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

I have a stock, rebuilt 1974 400m ford engine. I was wanting…

I have a stock...

I have a stock, rebuilt 1974 400m ford engine. I was wanting to put a tunnel ram on it with dual holly's but I don't know if the added HP will destroy my internals. like cam shaft, rods.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Auto trans. I'm figuring maybe 1000 on rebuild

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '74 Ford?

74 LTD station wagon not sure if its country squire

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country Squire yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm planning to do the work myself. I've been working on it for some time but the motor came with the car. I've changed valve covers to edlebrock. push in breathers still have PCV valve still. mr.G air cleaner. that's about it on the motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would like to know if I need to upgrade my camshaft and rods.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

with an automatic transmission, you will have trouble with vacuum to operate it.

Auto trans. Ok. What vacuum do you mean.

The internals will be fine with the upgrade, but the tunnel ram intake will drop the vacuum the engine can create. You would be better off installing a performer duel plain intake and a holly 750 carb. The engine will run better, and still create enough vacuum that you would not have any trouble with the transmission.

Ok. I have looked at those.
Would the tunnel ram still work or is it best to avoid it.

With the engine you have, a 600 cfm carb will not be enough and you would run to lean. If you have a manual transmission, the tunnel ram and duel carbs would work well, but it just is not a good idea with an automatic.

Ok. That's what I needed to know.

Glade I could help you tonight.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech