Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Wiggins, We picked up a 1974 VW Beetle and I'm going through…

Hi Wiggins,We picked up a...
Hi Wiggins,We picked up a 1974 VW Beetle and I'm going through it and the wipers don't work, would you know how I can test them? Thanks.
11/9/2017
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello, a quick way to test the motor is to ground terminal 31 and use a fused jumper wire to supply 12 volts to terminal 53b (high speed) or 53 (low speed) if the motor does work we know to next check the switch/wiring. You can see the wiring diagram HERE just let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Hi Wiggins,Thanks for responding I tried your suggestion and it didn’t work until I moved the Wind Shield Wiper Switch on the steering column, then it worked.I don’t know if this bug is supposed to have an Intermittent/Pulse Wiper Relay?So the switch on the steering column does work somewhat, what do you suggest I look for and/or test to find out why the wipers are not getting power, I assume they are not getting power?Thanks.

Thanks for the additional info. With the key on and wiper switch off is there 12 volts at terminal 53A on the wiper motor?

With the key on and wiper switch on high is there voltage on terminal 53b of the motor?

If voltages are present but motor does not move will it move if you ground terminal 31 of the motor?

OK I tried every combination I could think of and the only way they will work is if the ignition switch is and the wiper switch is on high or low and then I ran just a hot lead to 53 and 53b and then the wipers work I don't need to ground the wiper motor.
ignition is on

My apologies for the delay, I'm looking over the diagram and trying to determine why the switch would be working only with power applied to those motor terminals. I cannot say for certain if it's a power lead missing to the switch on 53a of the switch or the intermittent relay. I'm going to open this back up to other experts to see if any of our other guys has some thoughts on isolating the issue in this circuit.

Marty
Marty, Technician

Hi, my name is***** you still need help with this?

thanks for responding
Where is the the intermittent relay and to test it?

A 74 should not have intermittent wipers. How many positions does your switch have? It should just be OFF, speed 1 and speed 2.

That is what it has speed 1 and 2 is not much difference, both are very slow

Ok, turn the key on and test for voltage at the wiper motor terminals. Let me know which terminals have battery voltage.

Is your wiper switch a push/pull switch or is it mounted on the steering column? Can you send me a clear picture of the wiper motor wiring and of the connector to the wiper motor? Can you also list the wire colors? Once I have all of that I should be able to sort this out for you.

Marty
Marty, Technician
Marty see attachments. The wiper switch is on the column and it looks like a
turn signal switch.
Marty the wipers are working I guess maybe the switch had to be turned off and on several, maybe the contacts were dirty, the car has been sitting for 10 years the only thing the wipers move as fast as molasses. Thanks for your help and Wiggins help.