Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I'm wanting to fix a large scratch on my vehicle. The metal…

Customer Question
I'm wanting to fix a...
I'm wanting to fix a large scratch on my vehicle. The metal is exposed and has surface rust and the paint is a single stage. Is it possible to:1) Repaint just that exposed metal without having to repaint the entire panel or car?2) polish then clear coat the entire vehicle paint?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Classic Car
10/5/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 10 months ago
mike switzer

if it is non metallic then yes you can paint just the area of metal but the rust must be removed. and then you will need to polish it. since it is single stage it has no clear. so you can clear the entire car if you wish but you will need to not polish the pain as it will need to be prepped for the clear to be applied.