Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Installed 1585AP6 in my 1940 Packard which was very hard to…

Customer Question
Installed 1585AP6 in my...

Installed 1585AP6 in my 1940 Packard which was very hard to start with points. Now it won't start after cranking a long time. I hooked up the two wires to the (-) side of the Petronix coil.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes car was running strong prior to installing the ignitor.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

A 120 HP 1940 Packard model 1801 282 ci engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Installed ignitor per manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The wiring diagram shows black wire going to ignition wire which on my car is attached to the (-) coil post. Thus both wires are attached to the same post.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Classic Car
9/28/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Classic Car Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Classic Car Mechanic

I do not show 1585AP6 being for a 1940 Packard.......I may have wrong info, but it is showing latest info.
The 1585AP6 is supposed to replace your Points.
You Coil should have "2" Posts
One to the Ignition Switch
One to the Distributor
The Black wire would be the same connection as your old Points wire
The 1585AP6 Black wire would "pulse" the Coil
The Black wire would NOT connect to the Coil side that has Voltage from the Ignition Switch

.

let me know if you need further