Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I have a dodge 440 with no spark. Ignition coil, ECU and…

Customer Question
I have a dodge 440...
I have a dodge 440 with no spark. Ignition coil, ECU and pickup coil are new. When I lift the distributor up from the block, ground it and spin the shaft by hand I see plenty of spark. What's going on?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Classic Car
9/24/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

the first thing that comes to mind is a possible broken timing chain. the distributor may not be turning whem cranking

Roy

Ya But with the cap off I see the rotor turning

ok, then try running a external ground wire from the distributor to the battery

Let's do it on line

I dont send that stuff. that is all from the site.

This has been an on and off thing

ok

online please

did you try the ground wire yet??

I have tried grounding the distributor externally-no spark

does not make sense. if you ground it outside and it sparks, then grounding the same way should work with it installed

Roy

You bet ,makes no sense

is the ground wire from the battery to the block connected and in good shape??

I just added a star washer under it to improve contact. I just put a starter in it today. Works great.
By the way, the battery is grounded to the frame not the block. But it's always been that way. This is a motorhome.

and you still need a ground to the engine block as well.

I could add that

give it a try

But I doubt thats the problem if the starter operates and I get the spark with the distributor out of the block.I check again for rotation of the rotor

go ahead and re check

Yup It rotates.
Could we take a break to cogitate? Could you text me if you have any thoughts(###) ###-####

numbers are blocked from postings.