Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Grew up with most of the 50,60 and 70 high performance cars
3506196

Does a 1970 F-100 require a coil ballast? Basic F-100 V8 'd

Customer Question

Does a 1970 F-100 require a coil ballast?
JA: What is the model of your '70 Ford?
Customer: Basic F-100 V8 Carburetor'd stalls out after a few minutes
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: No fancy check engine light. Starts out good cold, less than a few seconds later starts missing. Ran before after stutter yesterday, now it won't run. No fuel smell of gas. Put on coil yesterday, seemed to work. I am not sure if the replacement coil has internal ballast. Ran good yesterday after coil replace. Today stuttered badly and failed instead of running
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Old girl has been running a long time, just local runs. Runs great when working. No floods. Fuel level in carb OK good.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Startup from cold starts cleanly, runs for a mile, starts stuttering. Previously it cleared itself for the rest of the day without probs. Today, dies and stayed. Ignition coil seems very hot. Carb fuel at normal without flooding. Does this 350 have a separate ignition ballast?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 month ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

if it has point then it has a ballast resistor. what it does is allow full battery voltage when cold and when it warms up it lowers the voltage to the coil as it does not need the voltage when hot. you can verify by using a voltmeter to the coil positive side. monitor it during cold and hot operation.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. We only get paid when you accept our answers

Roy