Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Distributor moves and now the car will nit start how do I…

Customer Question
Distributor moves and now...

Distributor moves and now the car will nit start how do I get the distributor set

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your classic?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your classic?

1954 Pontiac chieftain deluxe straight eight

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eight yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car quit running so I took the cap off cleaned everything and discovered the distributor moves

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car was acting like it was running out of gas never dreamed the distributor moves

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Classic Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When you say the distributor moves, do you mean the rotor moves if you turn it, or the entire distributor body turns? Please advise. Thanks

the whole distributor body turns

As the top turns of the part that attaches the unit to the engine, or the whole distributor turns. The distribuior unit should not turn freely. If thsi is so, the retainer that secures the distributor is broken, incorrect or missing.

the car willnot start how do i get the distributor back into place the retainer i can check to see if it is broke the bolt is in the retainer the main thing is getting the car to start again
the car willnot start how do i get the distributor back into place the retainer i can check to see if it is broke the bolt is in the retainer the main thing is getting the car to start again and what is the points to be set at 16 thousand with a feeler gauge

Set the timing mark on Zero on the crankshaft. Set the distributor rotor to be inline with the portion of the cap that is connected to the number 1 cylinder. This is base timing. Secure the distributor from moving and try to start. There are 2 possibilities on the zero mark. One is on compression. That is what you want. It is best to pull the valve cover off and make sure that there is no tension on both valves for the number one cylinder (ie they are both closed).

point gap should be .014 -.016