Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Changed alternator, voltage regulator. Wasn't charging.

Customer Question

Changed alternator, voltage regulator. Wasn't charging. charging now but seems to be an over charge. 71 swimger 340. middle connector in the bulkhead getting really hot noe, looking at the firewall, center block of wires going to the dash, (I think) 3rd wire up from the bottom on the left side of the center block gets super hot, sure it will catch on fire if I don't do something. Gets hot with ign os on or when aux is on.Help!!
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: Fuses all good, changed fusable link, no diagram.
JA: What is the model of your '71 classic?
Customer: Just a dart swinger, not a rally dash.
JA: Are you fixing your Dart yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yup, fixing myself, took the dash cluster out and changed the alt guage plus all the above.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Battery not charging, before I put the new reg and alt on, now it charges like crazy and blows the fuses in the fusable link.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.
Hello I'm Wolfgang. I do need the vin# ***** get the factory info to assist. Thanks