Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

My 1960 Thunderbirds steering mechanism has a knock in it. I

Customer Question

My 1960 Thunderbirds steering mechanism has a knock in it. I can see below by the power steering unit there is some sort of an adjuster with threads on each side. As I turn the wheel, this area looks like it buckles just a bit?
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: Fluid is good and no whining noise.
JA: What is the model of your '60 Ford?
Customer: Thunderbird
JA: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was thinking about it. I have not tried anything yet. I was thinking about turning on the piece that I think is an adjuster?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The 'adjuster' you speak of is to reduce the clearance in the steering box (the amount of distance it takes to move the wheel before the wheels start to move from the box. You do not want to adjust this for any kind of knocking noise. The adjuster will not rectify the issue. What you probably have is a broken ball bearing in the box. I would recommend looking into having the steering box taken off and disassembled by a knowledgeable technician who is familiar with this steering system. If you cannot find a good tech (these boxes are tricky inside, don't try to take it apart in your driveway unless you know what you are doing), I would look into a quality replacement unit.