Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a ford model a that is a brand new restoration. After

Customer Question

I have a ford model a that is a brand new restoration. After driving it in the parade it overheated and sprayed radiator fluid out the radiator cap making a terrible mess. What could be the cause?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Did not leak prior to drive.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1931 Deluxe
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 1931 Deluxe
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a mechanic who works on old cars. He says the radiator is painted in Gloss Black but looking into the radiator it looks brand new. The fan belt is slightly loose and the fancy radiator cap is poorly fitted with inadequate seal.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will ask him to come in to see if he has any more questions.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the radiator cap is not sealing properly this will cause this fault here and a new cap is needed that will fit and seal.When the cap is not sealed this allows the coolant to boil and over flow.

If this is done or checked and found o.k. the other issue can be a leaking cylinder head gasket that allowed an over heat issue causing this fault here.This would need to be checked into further to see if this is the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete