Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

Leaking antifreeze into plug galley on #4, Hoses are good,

Customer Question
Leaking antifreeze into plug...

Leaking antifreeze into plug galley on #4

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

Hoses are good, engine rebuilt with approx 2k miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your classic?

66 Impala Ss

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala SS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Havent tried to fix, was told to retorque head bolts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only leaks when jacked up...to replace starter

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Classic Car
8/2/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, you mean external leak that hits the plug???

no water in plug galley

ok, thought I lost you

re torquing the head will not resolve it. check the bolts around there as there are several on the lower side of the head. hit the heads with a hammer to see if any are broken.

most likely you will need to remove the head, inspect the gasket and have the head magnifluxed for any cracks.

Roy

do you need any other help

PLease take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that will allow the site to pay me for my efforts.

Roy