Gary
Gary, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ase.GM master tech
19513769

I have a 1988 corvette. previous owner played with the vats

Customer Question

I have a 1988 corvette. previous owner played with the vats wiring under the dash. I now have 2 small black wires not connected to anything and an orange and brown? wire not connected to anything. The car won't start but dash lights come on, doesn't crank. What now?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: It had a little resistor fastened between the orange and brown wire, started sometime. The resistor fell off.
JA: Are you fixing your Corvette yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, it's me working on it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What do I do with the loose wires? How to fix it?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

they bypassed the ignition lock cylinder

you can either reconnect the resistor to the 2 wires that go to the steering column

OR replace the ignition lock cylinder and connect the new connector from the ignition lock cylinder that runs down the inside of the steering column then it will read the new key

the cylinder will come with a new key for the key code then the dealer or a key cutting place will measure your old key resister to cut you 2 new keys with the correct resistance chip in the new keys and it should then be fixed correctly

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.