K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

2 of my cylinders aren't firing. 1975 beetle. New Plugs. I

Customer Question

2 of my cylinders aren't firing
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 1975 beetle
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, New Plugs. I also tested voltage coming to the injectors and it doesn't match the side that is running
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mass air flow sensor was recently changed. I don't know the mechanic who said it was necessary but it was done
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: The engine starts and runs but is very weak and hesitates, I had to adjust the timing a lot to get it to run at all. Then I discovered the 2 cylinders that aren't firing
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.

Hello, what you'll need to do is disconnect the harness from the double relays and injectors the ohm them while moving the harness around to see if the readings change. It is most likely a problem in the harness where the wires to the injectors are either not making cood contact at the plugs or the wiring is begining to deteriorate and break. I'll post the manual HERE so you can also test the double relay if the wiring proves ok.

If my answer has helped you please help me by rating/accepting. It costs you nothing more to rate or accept and follow ups concerning your question are always free. Rating just makes sure I am credited for my time and efforts. Thanks for using Just Answer!