Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I have a Dodge Dakota, 1987 sic cylinder. i just replaced…

Customer Question
I have a Dodge...

I have a Dodge Dakota, 1987 sic cylinder. i just replaced the computer because it was GP when I had it smogged. Now, it has been a bit sluggish but slowly working its way into a nice rhythm. Yesterday morning, it clicked a couple of itmes before it started. IT started okay, but a few minutes later when I got out of it, it would not start again and just two clicks and nothing more. The light all lit up and the radio worked but it did not start. I had it jumped and drove it for fourty miutes to make sure it was fully charged. Shut it off to go inside a store, came back out and the same couple of clicks and no starting. I had someone jump it to get home.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

This morning I went and got a new battery and it still is doing the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was told it might be a ballast resistor. or worse, the starter/

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not know where the fuses are..

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
4/2/2017
Classic Car Mechanic: Tims Auto Repair, Classic Car Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, Classic Car Mechanic

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

sense it does click the starter solenoid..the truck itselfis doing its job by sending power to the switch terminal on the starter solenoid..

so,you have one of two possible problems here

1-the battery cables,,you need to remove and clean the cables at all 4 points,the battery + and - the engine- and the starter +.

2-if it still does this after cleaning the cables ends.then yes,i would think the problem is the starter solenoid and the starter will need to be replaced

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.