Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

Have a 1979 Corvette. Can not get the door lock actuators to

Customer Question

Have a 1979 Corvette. Can not get the door lock actuators to throw the lock linkage. The battery is OK, and the linkage has been oiled and checked. The actuators are new also. When we press the lock switch the the mechanism wants to throw up instead of out. Don
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 9 months ago.

sorry for the delay...........
Are you stating the Rod comes out of the Latch rather than moves the latch up or down?
Click Attachment Below
Can you post a picture also

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. The 4in rod from actuator to linkage going to arm rest is attached OK. It just throws up and not straight. Now this car was worked on before and there are many holes where actuator is attached. So I attached it so it appears to be level then put 4in rod in actuator and connected to rod going to arm rest. It will not throw the rod. It wants to but won't. So I took a old arm rest and cut it out so I could look at action. The rod wants to go up and not straight. I am not sure if the actuator should be level or perhaps attached slightly up or down. These rods do not look like the rods I have seen at Corvette America. Maybe the person who worked on them before we got the car made them. Should the actuators be level with floor when attached. There are so many holes in door where actuator was attached that I can not tell. Also, this lock did not work when we received the car. We have rewired the doors and have only the locks to complete. Thank you. Don

These could be Aftermarket Actuators or Locks.....or modified from another year
If you can post a picture
With Rod disconnected, I Unlock the Doors to make the Actuator move to the proper spot
Then I will move the Manual Door button to Unlock
Then install the Rod, which should be the correct spot & also work to Lock

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sounds good. I have ordered new rods for installation. Will try your system with rods. If I continue to have the problem I will get back. Thanks for you help. Don

THANK YOU

.

Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.
.............