Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

Restoring a 1969 bug that has sat for 15 years. I just

Customer Question

restoring a 1969 bug that has sat for 15 years. I just started cleaning out fuel tank, flush lines, replaced all fuel lines and pump. I get fuel to the carb. It fires up but only while I pump the gas and dies immediately after the pump.
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: New gas and lines are tight
JA: What is the model of your '69 VW?
Customer: Beetle
JA: What year is your ''69 Beetle?
Customer: 1969
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just what I said before but also installed new battery, starter and fuel filter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

It would seem that the carburetter might be dirty and will need to come of and be cleaned. The fuel is not going into the idle circuit. That is why it will not run on.

This should answer your question should you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please explain the idle circuit. Are there 2 jets. One for idle and another for pumping? How difficult is it to rebuild this carb. I have done one American one before.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still available?
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

There is a brass bolt on the right hand side of the carb. That is the jet for the idle circuit. You can unscrew the jet and clean it, it might be all you need to do unless the passage why is also clogged. These carbs are pretty simple to work on and do not need a high level of skill to strip and clean. The float level is set with the needle and seat bolt and don't need adjustment, unless the brass plate on the floater is bend. Other than that one must just make sure that there is not a lot of play on the butterfly shaft where it hinge in the casing as this will cause flat spots when accelerating.

Greetings,

Martin.