Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

My son has a 1972 gran Torino that he put a 400 engine in.

Customer Question
He is using it as...
My son has a 1972 gran Torino that he put a 400 engine in. He is using it as a Enduro race car. It was running good until he spun out he said it never jarred anything. But the car just don't have anymore power when in gear. He changed transmissions which is a c6 and still didn't help. Cars seems to b getting plenty of gas. Any info would b great. Thanx.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
10/4/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

make sure the distributor hold down bolt is tight and that the distributor cannot easily be turned by hand and if it can, check the base ignition timing and also check that if there is a vacuum advance that the hose didn't fall off and that the vacuum advance is working, which can normally be checked by reving the engine slightly in neutral or park and pulling the vacuum hose off the distributor and putting it back on several times and listening for the rpm to go up and down, meaning that it is working.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could the coil maybe b part of the problem as well

Probably not, usually the coil either works or it don't but there is such a thing as a weak coil. If the timing hasn't moved, you could either have the coil tested, test it yourself with an ohmmeter or see if any shops nearby still have an engine oscilloscope that will test the coil output while the engine is running as well as test many more of the ignition.

How was the timing and vacuum advance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didn't get a chance to check today sorry. Had to much going on

That's fine, let me know then after you check.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic