Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  A.S.E. certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

My son has a 1972 gran Torino that he put a 400 engine in.

Customer Question

My son has a 1972 gran Torino that he put a 400 engine in. He is using it as a Enduro race car. It was running good until he spun out he said it never jarred anything. But the car just don't have anymore power when in gear. He changed transmissions which is a c6 and still didn't help. Cars seems to b getting plenty of gas. Any info would b great. Thanx.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

make sure the distributor hold down bolt is tight and that the distributor cannot easily be turned by hand and if it can, check the base ignition timing and also check that if there is a vacuum advance that the hose didn't fall off and that the vacuum advance is working, which can normally be checked by reving the engine slightly in neutral or park and pulling the vacuum hose off the distributor and putting it back on several times and listening for the rpm to go up and down, meaning that it is working.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could the coil maybe b part of the problem as well
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Probably not, usually the coil either works or it don't but there is such a thing as a weak coil. If the timing hasn't moved, you could either have the coil tested, test it yourself with an ohmmeter or see if any shops nearby still have an engine oscilloscope that will test the coil output while the engine is running as well as test many more of the ignition.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

How was the timing and vacuum advance?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Didn't get a chance to check today sorry. Had to much going on
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

That's fine, let me know then after you check.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.