Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Im working on a 1977 450 SL that was sitting for several

Customer Question

Im working on a 1977 450 SL that was sitting for several years. I stared at the back and boiled the gas tank, replaced the tank strainer filter, replaced the fuel pump,replaced the fuel filter...good to there. The car was barely idling but after getting some clean fuel with B&G 44k it will rev up but only if I manipulate the throttle and the air flow plate together. It seems as if the flow plate is too stiff to move freely with the throttle. It seems to rev smoothly if I depress the plate gently as I push the throttle. Is there any adjustment for the plate and fuel distributor
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. well it certainly looks like you done most of the right things the right way for an engine sitting that long, kudos to you. If that's all the problem you have is a sticking or lazy air flow meter plate you can use a good throttle body cleaner and work it back and forth till it becomes free then follow up with a little penetration fluid' That would happen sitting that long because of the two different metals corroding together. if that don't work you may have to replace the unit. Hope this helps you and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Peter when you say replace the unit do you mean the fuel distributor or the air flow plate? Also in trying so make the plate work more smoothly/sensitive do I need to remove anything or just try to clean/oil it through the air intake opening?

the air flow meter , it should move easy and freely

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I un hooked the fuel line (input) and the sensor plate moved without resistance at all. Im thinking I have a lean condition as I am having trouble getting it to rev up now even when I manipulate the sensor plate.. Maybe control pressure?

then I think you may have a tps sensor problem I'

ll send you a good link how to test the tps senor ok let me know how it goes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_skVHdgtMTU

as its a 77 it will be cis. have you checked that the air sensor plate is moving freely? when you open the throttle the vacuum (or the air movement to fill the vacuum in the manifold!) should pull the air plate down and in so doing cause the piston to move in the fuel distributor and squirt in more fuel. if its been sitting a while that little piston and the fine slots that the fuel flows through can get clogged and stuck and you idle fine but cannot do anything else. try holding the throttle linkage open and pushing down on the air sensor plate when its idling and see that the plate moves freely and the engine revs up. if it doesn't its something other than the fuel distributor
cheers ***** ***** have a manifold vacuum sensor that tells the ecu to riches or lean the mixture need to check that for vacuum on both sides when revving. the other thing is have you got a timing light to see if the timing advances when giving throttle. I'll send you a pic of the manifold pressure sensor location. check all vaccum hoses going to the throttle body

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill work on that stuff. I do not know where the tps sensor is or if there is one. I watched the video but it was vastly different than the look of this car. I do see a vacuum operated component on the left/driver side where your pic said the vacuum sensor would be and I can see it pulling in with operation of the throttle linkage. I can operate the throttle and push the sensor plate down and it moves freely. Sometimes things start working right and the throttle alone will operate the sensor plate like its supposed to and I think I'm going to get to drive this thing but then It goes back to lugging and giving me small backfires through the air intake...like its too lean. Im going to check timing next

I'm sorry but I have gone as far as I can not being there is hard for me to feel the problem so I'll opt out so perhaps another expert can shed more light on your issue , good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Peter for helping. Ill keep plugging away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I see that Peter referred me. Are you able to see the previous correspondence or should we start over? I had an interesting thing happen today, I ran out of gas!! This is strange because after boiling out the tank we added 9 gallons and some cleaner but we have only been able to idle and rev up but no driving or really anything long term. Im guessing maybe three hours in all. Where did all that fuel go?