Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

1955 ford with a 1972 windsor 351 4 barrel was running great

Customer Question
1955 ford with a 1972...
1955 ford with a 1972 windsor 351 4 barrel was running great after sitting 3 weeks without running wont start battery went dead replaced battery but still will not start fuel line has fuel fuel filter good not plugged any suggestions i do have a basic msd distributor with no computer
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
8/29/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

Can you check for spark and fuel?

Fuel is easy, check accelerator pump is visible through airhorn of carb.

Pull coil lead off, set it a short gap from ground, and crank engine, do you have spark?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i dont have a helper right now to do that i did pump the throttle and gas was getting into the airhorns of the carb cant check spark without someone to turn key over while i check coil
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i'll have to get back to you i guess its going to be electrical as fuel pump is mechanical but as I said I cant check the spark from the coil right now sorry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i will have to go for now and get back with you besides the coil spark what other things do i need to check?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my cell phone is dying so i cant talk on phone right now

Hi Michael,

Sounds like you have no spark.

When you can verify this, can you tell me what distributor you have?

Is it a ready to run MSD to suit a Windsor?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is the basic ready to run msd with no computer boxes

I'll come back to you soon with some testing procedures.

Gary

I'm back.

The RTR doesn't have a separate test like a 6AL etc has.

So unfortunately you need to prove it, with help from a friend to crank it.

Do you have a digital multimeter?

Gary

Hi Michael,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had to stop working on car had to leave town death in family will get back in y ouch in 4 or 5 days thank you. Haven't checked spark yet

Ok, sorry to hear of your family loss.

Take care.

Gary

Hi Michael,

Hope you and your family are doing ok.

Do you need any further help?

Gary

Hi Michael,

Do you need any further help?

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician