Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

My 79 Volvo 245 runs great. Ac doesn't seem to work. What do

Customer Question
I do?...
My 79 Volvo 245 runs great. Ac doesn't seem to work. What do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
7/26/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Steve, Classic Car Owner replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Classic Car Owner

if the system is empty it will need be recharged and checked for leaks. If it still is an R12 system it will need to converted to R134 before recharging and checking.

If you do not have the ability to do this yourself you will need to take it to a repair shop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Steve If I knew how to service my AC system , I wouldn't need to ask for an "expert! Your advice to "contact a repair shop" is useless too! I can contact a repair shop without you telling me to. If I contact a repair shop...why do I need to contact you??? Also...why don't you tell me exactly how to diagnose my AC system to tell what the problem actually is??? Tell me HOW TO FIGURE OUT IF MY SYSTEM NEEDS TO BE RECHARGED??? Do you actually know Steve??? What about electrical/switching problems? Vacuum switch issues? Heater door problems? Compressor diagnosis? Tell me about these things Steve! After you've walked me through these steps and it won't work...I'll take it to a shop.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about fuses??? You forgot to ask me to check the fuse for the AC system. Have you really worked on AC systems?
Classic Car Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Im David. the very first thing you should do is open up the fuse panel by the drivers kick panel and make sure they all look ok. thats such a problem area with these cars. once you determine all the fuses are ok, then it is mandatory to put an ac manifold gauge set on the ac system to see if you have a proper charge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try that and get back to you.

ok sounds good

any update sir?

Classic Car Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you still need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician