Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

My 1972 Citroen DS 21 is blowing a lot of oil into the air

Customer Question
cleaner housing which drips on...
My 1972 Citroen DS 21 is blowing a lot of oil into the air cleaner housing which drips on the exhaust manifold. The engine has just over 30000 miles on it and recently had the head re-done on it by Citroen Concourse in San Deigo.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
7/11/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

You should contact the repairer.

Sounds like the engine has high crankcase blowby.

Have you checked the engine oil level lately?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I figured that. Since the engine has just had the head re-done what else should we look at?

I'd say incorrect diagnosis.

What was wrong with the cylinder head?

High blowby is piston rings.

A bit odd for 30000 miles though.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The head had a bent valve because it had stuck from sittingfortoo long.

Yes, can understand that, and now the rings are possibly stuck as well.

While the head was of the bores might have showed some evidence of that.

Ultimately, the bottom end needs a refresh now.

Hope you get it sorted.

Kind regards

Gary

Hi again,

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I already know your comments. Are you familiar with how a Citroen DS 21 Engine breaths and what things I can check before pulling it apart. What filters/vents might be plugged or need to be replaced????

Hi again,

At best if the PCV valve was blocked, the crankcase should not blow such large volumes of air and oil with it into the air cleaner housing.

Any engine that has high blowby, leakage past the rings, needs mechanical attention.

No amount of home remedies will solve your issue.

I would say the engine needs to be overhauled.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician