Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

Have 66vw will be driving about 29 min. Car dies, will not

Customer Question
turn over .about 10 mins...
Have 66vw will be driving about 29 min. Car dies, will not turn over .about 10 mins or so it will start again. But will do this again. Afraid to keep driving. Live in the mountains of NC
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
6/23/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

When it does this again, be sure you have spark at the plugs when cranking it. If you do, check check fuel pressure. You need 4-7 PSI. This can also be a vapor lock problem.

Thanks,. Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor