How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Juan Crespo Your Own Question
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Category: Classic Car
Satisfied Customers: 1526
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
Type Your Classic Car Question Here...
Juan Crespo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1955 dodge royal under hood drivers side above solidold is

Customer Question

1955 dodge royal under hood drivers side above solidold is an resister or cut out?? auto lite RAF-4001 what is it called so I can google and try to find
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it is called a ballast resistor. it allows full battery voltage to the coil when the engine is cold. when it warms up the voltage lowers.


Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps I can help.

If the part is indeed an Autolite RAF-4001, then it's not a ballast resistor. Instead that part number corresponds to the horn relay (MoPar(###) ###-#### ***** to your 1955 Dodge Royal. These relays were also made by other brands such as Sorensen - click here to view one for sale on ebay