Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

Have 1962 Galaxie Sunliner with 390. Car runs very well

Customer Question
however driving and motor stopped...
Have 1962 Galaxie Sunliner with 390. Car runs very well however driving and motor stopped. Would start for couple seconds and die as if not getting gas did this couple times then would not fire. Towed to town mechanic could find nothing wrong next day. Started right up.He did not know if fuel got too hot and vapor locked. Drove car rest of summer no problems. Took car out middle of April after setting all winter. Car drove great till 5/302016. Drove car 8 miles let set for 45 minutes started right Drove another 8 miles. Let set 25 minutes Started right up. Went about 100 yards and did same thing as previous year.Had put gas in it morning and was 86 degrees. Towed back to mechanic shop by mechanic. He tried to start and acted as if not getting fuel. Will work on it when he gets time. Twice in one year and rest drives like a dream.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
5/30/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach
automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

If the fuel pressure and volume is good, you have either a bad condenser in the distributor or a bad coil. Doubtful it's a vapor lock issue.

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor