Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

I have a 75 grand ***** *****. 6.6 liter. we changed the alternator

Customer Question
and battery and the car...
I have a 75 grand ***** *****. 6.6 liter. we changed the alternator and battery and the car still wont turn over. the car was working fine until the I was driving last week and the car just shut off/ lost power. the ALT light came on and the radio still worked which prompted us t change the alternator.. do you know wy the car still wont turn over?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the car will give that crank sound but no spark to turn over in order to start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercury Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
4/21/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Ron, Classic Car Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, Classic Car Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.I assume your working on a Grand Marquis since you have a 6.6 engine but I am not clear on your problem, when you say it will not crank are you saying it cranks over but will not start and run or are you saying it will not crank over. Please post back with complete information and I will help you get this resolved.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I apologize for not being clear.. Thats correct. It will crank but it does have the spark to completely turn over so it will start. I read a few forums and they said it could be my starter or the starter relay. I found another that said it could be the old Ford fuel pump that shut off when I abruptly stopped the other day when I loss power. The fuel pump shut down was considered a safety mechanism so that the fuel wouldn't flow to the engine in the event of an accident. I went to advanced auto parts and purchased all of those items and hope this fixes the problem.
If its cranking over but not firing up then its not a starter problem, if you pull any one of the spark plug wires from a spark plug and hold it about 1/2 inch away from a good ground on the engine and crank it over do you get spark from the wire?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My mechanic tried that and I believe we did not get spark. Im not sure but I can ask him later this morning.
The loss of spark in most cases on the 1975 was caused in most cases by a failing ignition module or the distributor pick up. This can be verified by running a few test steps. I have enclosed them in the link below. Have him do this testing . Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20spark%20Apr%2021.pdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you I will tell him and let you know the end result
Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.Thank you again.
Ron, Classic Car Technician