Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My name is***** question is in regards ***** ***** a 216

Customer Question

My name is***** question is in regards ***** ***** a 216 or 235 chevy. I think the truck is a 52 but the motor may have been swapped. I looked for the number on the flay spot on the block but none exists. Is that a block from an overhaul? How can I tell if they put a 235 in to replace the old 216.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm just looking for a way to distinguish if it's a 216 or a replacement 235
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Classic Car Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Does your valve cover have 2 hold down nuts in the center, or does it have four bolts around the perimeter of the cover?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two hold down in the center
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking it's a 235 big truck engine. The push rod cover doesn't go up over the spark plugs. It's in an old 52 2 ton farm truck. From what I've read anyway I'm still just guessing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm led to understand all 2 ton trucks up to 54 had a low pressure 235. ?????
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Should be a low pressure 235 from your description. Oil pressure gauge on the dash should max out at 30 psi. Later high pressure engines had 60 psi dash gauges.