Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I have a 65 beetle and it's chugging or lurching while

Customer Question
I have a 65...

I have a 65 beetle and it's chugging or lurching while driving. It doesn't seem to have much power either while it's doing this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It started with the beetle not starting. I charged the battery for a couple of hours and it seemed fine. It chugs when I press on the gas and loses power at stops.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Classic Car
3/10/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I had an older Beetle back in the day that did the exact same thing. Turned out that the generator was not producing sufficient voltage. You may want to get the output voltage checked before you do anything else.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.