Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I HAVE ATOP OIL FILLER ATTACHED TO A PVC VALVE, BUT A LOT OF…

Customer Question
I HAVE ATOP OIL...

I HAVE ATOP OIL FILLER ATTACHED TO A PVC VALVE, BUT A LOT OF SMOKE VAPOR IS COMING OUT OF THE LOWER CRANKCASE VENT PIPE?

Mechanic's Assistant: What model and year is your Ford?

1956 FAIRLANE TOWN SEDAN

Mechanic's Assistant: Nice car. The Ford Mechanic can help you with your '56 Sedan. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I HAVE SOLID STATE IGNITION, AC, ALTERNATER.. I HAVE NOTICED AT NIGHT WHEN I SIT AT A STOP LIGHT, SMOKE ABOUT COVERS THE CAR?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

NOT NECESSARILY

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Ford Mechanic now?

YES

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Classic Car
2/26/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

What you are describing sounds like blow-by.

As the engine wears the compression rings loosen and allow combustion gasses to blow-by the compression rings and down into the crankcase. The gases then make their way up to the top of the valve cover through the oil passages and then vent out the PVC or breather system. These gases are hot and will burn some oil on the way up and out, thereby creating the smoke you are seeing.

The only real solution is to rebuild or replace the engine.

You could confirm this with a compression test, but really, the only way to get gasses in the crankcase is from blow-by.