Classic Car

Have classic car questions? Ask an Expert.

I have a c4 transmission connected to a 49 mercury flathead.

Customer Question
When I start the engine...
I have a c4 transmission connected to a 49 mercury flathead. When I start the engine and put it in gear it just sits there not going in to gear. If I put it in reverse it goes in to gear. If I let it sit at idle with it in drive, after about 3 or 4 minutes it will go in to gear. It then will operate normally. The fluid level is ok. what do I need to do? Thank you for any help you can give.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Classic Car
2/23/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

from your description, you need to replace the seals in the front clutch pack. it sounds like they are hard as a rock and soften up after they get hot

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy