Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

My name is ***** *****, I have a 71 Chevy truck that will

Customer Question
Customer: Hi, my name is...
Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****, I have a 71 Chevy truck that will not start or even roll over or click when I turn the key. With a wire tester I checked wires under the hood, the hot were hot up to the firewall. Checked the fuse block in the interior, fuses all good but zero voltage. I thought fusible link somewhere but can not locate any. I am totally bamboozelled, never seen or even heard of this before. WTF ? Please help if you can.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What do need to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Classic Car
1/21/2016
Classic Car Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

At your starter do you see any smaller wires attached to the main battery stud or at the back of the alternator at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the main battery cable to the battery stud and the smaller wire to the solenoid on the starter. The alternator has two wires going to the stud and two wires going to the plastic plug.

Is there a fusible link junction block on the firewall at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No can't see any. The day before yesterday my truck was running fine and yesterday there was nothing. I didn't do or change anything, this is totally blowing my mind.

o.k. I was hoping you would find fusible links at the starter,alternator or firewall but since none were located and looking through my info on this I dont have the wiring diagram I need to help further but someone else here might have this info.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Classic Car Mechanic: K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic replied 1 year ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic

Hello, there's a fusibale link thats right on the positive cable of the battery if the wiring has not been changed. I'll post the wiring diagram below, let me know what you find and we can work further.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic