Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Where can I find a distributor lead wire 1978 240? The

Customer Question

where can I find a distributor lead wire for a 1978 240? The plastic plug going to the unit on the passenger inner fender has crumbled to dust.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  CHEVYEATER351 replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Are you talking about the wiring coming out of the distributor itself? Not the vehicle harness.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

a two wire lead that connects to the distributor at one end and the black box on the other, maybe 3 feet long running under? the engine timing cover

Sorry for the delay I was trying to find as much information as I could for you. I found a wiring diagram that will let you know what wire goes to what, but that wiring should route over to the ECM and if memory serves me it is located on the passengers side front fender area behind the headlight. The diagram shows a pictures of it. Now that you have the wiring you should be able to direct wire it with some terminals that can be separated and get it firing again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The car I'm working on has the vacuum advance can on the distributor, and only two wires run between the distributor and ignition control unit. I am looking for a replacement for the two-wire distributor lead because the plastic plug on one end has crumbled from the heat. I guess I will try to find a volvo junkyard for a replacement.

There are listings for replacements ok Ebay as well.