K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Barry i have a 1976 bus that was changed from fuel inj to

Customer Question

Customer: barry i have a 1976 bus that was changed from fuel inj to carbs, by some one else, but not done right, return line was blocked off, fuel will free flow from tank to carbs, and if float would rise will flood engine, this allread happen once what is correct way to fix
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: problem if float woud rise would drain full tank into intake, as fuel pump does not hold back flow, should return be put back on and a reguator be in system, also is trere a fuel pump that would hold back fuel untill turned on that would work with curb system
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to VW Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Carburetors usually don't require as much fuel pressure and fuel injected engines, especially if it's not a tbi. If the fuel pressure isn't knocked down either by changing the fuel pump or at least by installing a regulator, then the too high fuel pump pressure will force the float needle off the seat and flood the engine.

So, let me continue by asking what engine this is, what was the original fuel system and what carb is on there now, what fuel pump/pressure do you have, etc?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Was this the 1976 Volkswagen Truck Transporter 2.0L FI 4cyl? If so, that fuel pressure was 28 PSI. That is way too much for a carburetor. Normally they only require like 7 psi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pump is a 4 to 7 lb it has been changed but problem is tank is above system and feeds out bottom of tank the new pump will let fuel flow even when not in use, if you pulled hose off carb it would drain full tank of fuel even with engine off, problem is if float would stick it would drain full tank of fuel into engine intake , 1976 vw bus 2.0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my ph no is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

When gas enters the carb float bowl and the float rises, then the needle should be forced against it's seat and shut off the flow of gas, so if you have a problem with this, then the foat either has a hole in it if it's metal or could be to heavy if plastic, or the float may need to be adjusted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are not understanding what i am telling you about the problem could you call me at(###) ###-####or send me your ph no. tthank you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Could you then explain what I am not understanding? How did you come to lower that fuel pressure? Did you install a different fuel pump and/or a different regulator or is there an adjustment on that regulator? Nonetheless, if fuel still flows through the fuel pump and the regulator while the engine is off if a mechanical fuel pump or the engine is off and key off if an electrical fuel pump that I agree, that isn't right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as i had said , this was changed from fuel injection system to carbs, 4to7 lb pump installed, they block off return hose, and took off regulator, and with fuel flow direct to carbs this is a safety problem, i am asking for some one that has done one of these conversions, to advise if return hose is to be used, and if it should have a regulator, and should fuel pump hold back fuel when not in use, if you are not familiar with conversion on a 1976 bus then i need to talk with some one that has done one thank you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I agree, you should speak to someone who has done the conversion. I'll opt out then, perhaps another expert on here as done one, if so, they might give you an answer. Good luck!

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I understand your concern of the tank gravity feeding. The solution to this is to install an inline fuel cut off solenoid. Just plumb it in before the carb and power it off the + side of the ignition coil. Here's a link to one. You may have to use a smaller nipple depending on your fuel line size.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Solenoid-12-VDC-Normally-Closed/dp/B007N0GRIE

After the solenoid install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Most carbs for these work best at 3psi.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/9102.html

If you have any questions just reply back. If not, please take a moment to rate my service. Thanks!