Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

I have a 73 Camaro with a 350 and hei distributor. I

Customer Question
I have a 73 Camaro...
I have a 73 Camaro with a 350 and hei distributor. I replaced the hei dist with a new one as I had some dead/cold cylinders. New dist would not fire. Reinstalled old dist. Would not fire. Retimed with #1 at TDC. Nothing. Cheecked power to dist 12.5 volts.
Ordered new dist from Skip White Performance. Installed perfectly. Still no fire. I am at my wits end. I don't think I can have 8 bad plug wires. Any help would really be greatful. Car was running fine until I pulled the old dist.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Classic Car
10/4/2015
Classic Car Mechanic: Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic

What procedure did you use to set the distributor down in and get it timed?

You said, "Retimed with #1 at TDC." but you never said the TDC was on the compression stroke or not.

I am assuming that you do have spark, it's just that the spark isn't timed or routed correctly, is that correct?

How did you turn the oil pump?

Rotated engine manually using the old finger in the #1 cyl plug hole until tdc was found.

Ok, you do have spark though, correct?

Mike, let us assume Everything is correct except for the fact I have no spark. I really do not want to answer questions I have not asked.
I have NO SPARK!!!!!

Ok, then it has nothing to do with timing then.

You confirmed you have voltage to the BATT terminal of the distributor cap, actually you said you had 12.5 volts, now is that with both the key on run and on start?

Only with Key on. Do not have a helper to ck while starting.

Ok, then you have to confirm that first.

What will that tell me?

usually that wire comes from the starter solenoid

If you don't have voltage to the ignition coil and distributor with the key on start, then you won't have any spark while cranking the engine over.

On them old cars, normally they used the R terminal on the starter solenoid to send 12 volts to the coil while cranking.

I have confirmed that. Here is the original wiring diagram.

I have not changed any wiring since the last time the car ran. Let us assume I do have power while cranking. I still have no spark to the plugs. I have a tester I can see wile cranking that a spark plug inserts into with a lite. It does not lite whil cranking.
I do not use the old syle coil. I upgraded to an HEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need a helper if you have a voltmeter. Just hook up the voltmeter and if you cannot see the voltmeter from inside the car while turning the key to start, then just find some wire and make long jumpers for the test leads.

Did you rewire the hei or did someone else?

Is there just the one wire to the BATT or is there a splice with 2 wires?

Thank you wasting my time and not LISTENING TO MY PROBLE. HAVE A GOOD DAY. GODDBYE.

I am listening, on the other hand you are not.

If you have tried 3 different distributors than chances are it's not the distributor. it must be the wiring to the distributor or your spark tester don't work or it's not dark enough for you to see.

All you had to do is find 50 cents worth of wire to make 2 jumpers in order to check for voltage to the BATT terminal while cranking the engine over and you won't do that. You want to assume it's ok and I cannot assume that. Other than that, nothing else makes sense.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic