Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Classic car expert
Experience:  35 years experience Foreign and Domestic
2617050

My 1974 dodge camper with a 360 motor. when I try to start

Customer Question

my 1974 dodge camper with a 360 motor. when I try to start the vehicle the relay clicks. the battery is full charge. also I just replaced the relay.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the starter may have a hot spot in the armeture and cant make contact with the brushes inside. First lets try taking a hammer and smack the side of the starter while someone else is holding the key all the way to start and see if it shakes the contacts loose. This may sound odd, but believe it or not it works a lot of times. If it does, the starter needs replaced or it will happen again. let me know please and we can go from there

Hello?