Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Classic car expert
Experience:  35 years experience Foreign and Domestic
2617050

My 1965 Mustang...non power steering makes a loud "bang"

Customer Question

My 1965 Mustang...non power steering makes a loud "bang" when turning steering wheel either way....but only when car is not in motion...on very very low speeds. Thanks Bill
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. I have this same issue on my 66. Have someone rock the steering wheel slightly left and right. Then get down in the front of the car and look directly last the drivers side wheel areas where the power steering cylinder is at and you will most likely see the bushings for the steering cylinder shock are worn or gone or you will see the joint at the cylinder moves and knocks , it's the joint that connects to the pitman arm off of the gear box. Let me know if this helps. Lou. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link to a picture of the joint I am talking about.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/sxbn97w6kx2e664
Copy and paste that link. Hope this information helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a standard....non power steering car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok then ignore the picture lol. i will opt out. I only have experience with the power steering systems.
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.
Hello Bill,i am very familiar with this car and will try to help you diagnose this.
Can you feel it in the steering wheel?
Have you tried having someone feel the steering linkage under the car when it makes the noise being that it will make it when stopped?
Please give me as much details as possible and we can try to sort this out together.
Larry