Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Yes I have a 1963 Austin Healey BJ7 just finishing restoration,

Customer Question

Yes I have a 1963 Austin Healey BJ7 just finishing restoration, engine has been rebuilt, new battery new cables, plugs, rotary cap, plugs, coil condenser, points, everything new but trying to start cant even get a pop out of motor, checked #1 cylinder up rotary pointing to #1 plug timing mark on harmonic balancer where it should be, getting fuel to carbs, good spark, compression check on cylinders is ok however checked vacuum on intake manifold & no vacuum, ready to throw up hands. could the cam be in 180 out or something? piston at top on compression everything seems to be in order, don't know what else to do.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. Your ignition can be 180 out, but the cam cant. You can time the cam up properly, take the drive off of it and rotate the cam 180degrees and put the drive back on and it will run fine. The ignition isn’t like that. You need to make sure the rotor is pointing at #1on TDC on the compression stroke. If it is pointed at #1 at TDC on the exhaust stroke it wont run. Also you wont see any vacuum until it starts. I would recheck the ignition timing, and make sure the rotor is pointing at #1 on TDC of the compression stroke. Then check for fuel and spark. Sometimes a shot of starting fluid can help fire a stubborn engine up, but use it sparingly. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am hereto help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.Times New RomanI do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.