Scott
Scott, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars, fully qualified..
29644491

Chevrolet Corvette: I have just purchased a 1971 corvette stingray

Customer Question

I have just purchased a 1971 corvette stingray with matching no/s vin 194371s112546 engine 454 engine no/ T0308CP in an 8mm stamp then IS112546 is in a 5mm stamp does this look rite to u ???
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, Indeed, that number configuration matches what was on Chev Big Blocks of the period. The first code group is the manufacture identifier, the second, smaller stamping the serial, which is the bit that matches the second half of the VIN. Unless it's been ground down & restamped, It's 'numbers matching', no problems..I hope this helps!CheersScott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankz scott the small no/s r stamped in the rough casting about 15mm away from the 1st group &a bit lower than the deck height so if they ground it back it would b smooth i just thought they would use the same size stamps thats wot got me concerned thank u again ??
Expert:  Scott replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
The two groups are stamped at different points in manufacture - the first at engine construction, the second when it's allocated to a chassis. No idea as to why they used different stamp sets, but your number configuration is 'normal'..
Cheers
Scott