Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Chevy Chevelle: ! have a 1967 S/S Chevelle with a 572 crate

Customer Question

! have a 1967 S/S Chevelle with a 572 crate engine 620 h.p.+-. I have done everything imagineable to cool the engine.I have a March serpentine belt setup on it which also runs a Vintage Air A/C compressor. Yes the water pump turns the correct way.The radiator hoses are not collapsing. The Be Cool Radiator and dual Electric fans are set up to run continuously( they are set up that way by me) and the largest that will fit.The timing is set per G,M. specs with vacuum advance disconnected(mechanical only) 36 degrees total )I have a HUghes Prepared 4L80 E trans2500 stall converter WITH a B&M trans cooler mounted in the wheel well with a fan to cool it with outside of the engine compartment air.Thermostat has been changed twice.
It seems to do OK on 80 degree days or less but no matter what , once it gets hot ( being 210 degrees) It stays hot . It never cools off until you turn the engine off then it pegs the third temp gauge and boils over a little. Maybe a pint of coolant with water wetter. The Lemons Headers are Jet Hot Coated inside and out to try to minimize Engine compartment temps. Once the engine starts to heat up ,it doesnt cool off no mater how fast you go it still gets hot
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don - Mo Lurch replied 2 years ago.
what temp thermostat?what side of the Radiator are the Fans on?what pound Radiator Cap?is Heater connected?