Marty
Marty, Technician
Experience:  Automotive technician with 34 years experience repairing all makes and models.
13230946

Jaguar XK-E: My clutch is not working. The XK-E 1967 has been

Customer Question

My clutch is not working. The XK-E 1967 has been sitting unused for awhile. THe clutch seems not to work and I cannot move (push) the car.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, how does the clutch pedal feel? Does it have pressure?

Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the clutch pedal does have pressure.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if there is pedal pressure what usually happens is the clutch disc rusts to the flywheel. I will describe how to break the disc loose from the flywheel. First you will need to start the car in neutral and let it warm up so it is running well. Next you will need to roll the car onto the street in a direction where you can drive forward without having to stop right away. Turn the motor off and place the transmission in first gear, press the clutch pedal all the way down and keep it pressed down. Start the car and it will drive off in first gear even though the clutch is depressed because the disc is still stuck to the flywheel. Try driving with a jerky motion on and off the gas pedal so you break the disc loose from the flywheel. It usually will break loose in less than 100 yards. Remember you must keep the clutch pedal depressed until you break the disc free then you can shift the car as normal. Be careful when doing this procedure!
Let me know how you make out.
Marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I will try that.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You're quite welcome. Let me know how you make out.
Please remember to rate my service if my answer was helpful.
Marty