Classic Car

Have Classic Car Questions? Ask an Expert.

Classic Car

F 100: I have a 65 ford f 100 about every other time I take

Customer Question
I have a 65 ford...
I have a 65 ford f 100 about every other time I take of with it there is a clicking noise coming from rear end.It has been doing this for the past 2 years. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. There is no howling noise coming from rear end when driving there is some play in rear differential it has 9 inch rear end.It only kicks for a few feet then it stops or goes away. Any idea. And second Question pickup has 65,000 thousand on it .How long do clutchs go in these old ford pickups. IT HAS MANUAL TRANNY IN IT. It is 1965 ford f 100 pickup.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Classic Car
6/14/2015
Classic Car Mechanic: Dr. Hamman, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
With 65K on it the the years might get to the clutch before the miles do. A clutches useful life is very dependent on driving style. If you have a lead foot and like to rev the engine hard before clutching it, you can smoke a clutch in a few thousand miles. If you take it easy it could potentially make it to 100K, or more. Normally a failing clutch will first show it has a problem when you are lugging the engine a bit and you stand on the gas. This isn't particularly hard on the clutch as far as wear, but it dies run a lot of torque through it. If the clutch starts to fail it will slip when you lug the engine a bit and you stand on the gas.
As far as the sound, I would get it up in the air and check it out with a mechanics stethoscope. Put the rear end on jack stands and go over the rear end and the drive line with a mechanics stethoscope. These stethoscopes are less than $10, Harbor freight tools is a good source. I cant overstress how good these work. You can pick up sounds you cant hear any other way. Many time sounds like this can be heard with this type of inspection. A lot of times the sound is there, you just cant hear it with your bare ear. I would also closely inspect the U joints. A dry U joint can make sounds and still feel tight like it is good. It is hard to spot these unless you remove the drive shaft and feel the smoothness of the joints as they flex. They should be smooth, and move freely. Any stiffness slack or sound condemns them. If you are not sure of their age and condition it would be a good idea to change them as a maintenance item.
The 9 inch ford rear end has spanner adjusters on the carrier, so you can pop out the third member out the front of the housing. Then take the slack out with the spanners, by adjusting the backlash. You can also take an oil sample and send it off for an oil analysis to check for hidden damage. I use black stone labs, they are on the internet. The test is only $25. In the past it was obscenely expensive, the price has come way down. An oil analysis can tell you if the rear end has internal problems without even taking it apart. Those are the things I would look at, I would check the transmission mount too. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.
I have already used an inspection camera through filler hole teeth on gear looked good no broken teeth.The pickup going up hill seems to gain speed going up hill and has alot low end power in 1st gear.And it seems to get up to 50 on highway alright..The pickup seems to back up in reverse alright with good power.It is a four speed manual I am very easy on it other wise.Driving it down the street and up steep grades it seems to gain little speed.
If the engine doesn't runaway and rev on grades the clutch should be good. But if the engine speeds up and the truck doesn't then you need to look at the clutch. If the pedal is real high with no free play the clutch adjustment might be too tight. This can make the clutch slip when the clutch is still good. If this is happening, loosen the adjustment up until you have an inch or so of free play. Just keep an eye out for the engine speed revving way up while the truck isn't accelerating. That is a sign the clutch linkage is too tight, or the clutch is about to lay down on you.
As far as the sound and the rear end. That test on the oil can tell you if a bearing or part buried deep inside is failing, something that you cant even see with an inspection camera. I cant overstress how much this one test can tell you. I have gotten to where I count on them a lot, and they have never let me down. It saves a lot of tear down time, and it can spot some problems that are hard to find in a tear down.
I would evaluate the clutch and its adjustment, go over the rear end and the transmission, back wheels up in the air, on jack stands, engine running and in gear. See if you can find the sound with the stethoscope. The consider $35 for the spectral analysis on the oil. You really get your moneys worth on that test. Remember Blackstone Labs
on the internet. They send you the kit to take the oil sample free, the test cost $25. If you have any more questions at all, or if you want to talk on the phone, we can do that under additional services. I will be available after 3PM today. Right now I have been up all night working, and am going to catch some sleep time. I will be back on this afternoon. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician