Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

440 V8: Can someone tell me where I can find an engine manual

Customer Question

Can someone tell me where I can find an engine manual for a '78 Dodge 440 V8 engine? Someone gave me a '78 Dodge Commander RV, and this is the engine it has.
I have not been able to locate this manual and could use a hand finding one.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
An actual manual for the RV probably doesn't exist. The engine would be a lot easier to get a manual for. I have worked on 440's and their transmissions a lot. I have raced them for over 3 decades, so I know them very well. Is there a particular question about the 440 I can help you with. Also let me know a little more about your manual needs. Are you looking for an overhaul manual, or one more oriented towards smaller everyday repairs. I ask because there is an excellent Chrysler engine manual, but is focuses on rebuilding. Let me know and I will point you in the right direction.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you point me in the direction of both types of manuals? Several months ago I found a CD Rom engine manual for this engine on the web, and I bought it, but have misplaced it, and now I can't find it again on the web. I am not a mechanic, but I have a good shade tree mechanic helping me, however there is a language barrier, he is Mexican and my Spanish isn't good enough to communicate with him. His English is better than my Spanish, but his English is very marginal.
What you will find is a 1978 Dodge 1 ton truck repair manual will cover the vast majority of the engine, transmission, suspension and rear end repairs. As far as the motor home body your best bet is to look for an internet forum where this type of motor home is one of the topics. Dedicated users groups like this often have pieced together bits of repair information on the motor home body itself. The actual Dodge part of the vehicles is covered very well in the manual link HERE . 1978 was the last official year the 440 was produced, so the later model books wont cover it. The Haynes manuals that auto parts stores carry are a good fairly inexpensive resource. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.